Monday, April 13, 2009

“If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another.” -Dalai Lama

There have been many graces given to our family in the past month. From tangible support of food, childcare and calls to spiritual support and medical support. As I have reflected in previous posts, it can be difficult to sift through something cognitively that feels so much bigger than us and is so much bigger than us.

So we move into action. On March 21st when my dad was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital he was given 40 units of blood. This is eight times your body's volume. Our family friend Dr. Peterson, took Nathan, my mom and I on a tour of the pathology floor, where she works and showed us the blood bank. Seeing the blood bank was one of the many times in the last month where I have felt like my heart made an obvious connection from love to action.

Random strangers, in random locations, at random times provided the blood that kept my dad alive and now flows in his body. An altruistic gift that continues to give to our family. Amazing.

On Saturday, May 9th from 9AM to 3PM, Winnetka Covenant Church will be hosting a blood drive facilitated by Life Source. This blood drive will honor not only my dad but those who come after him in similar need. Our goal is to have 40 units of blood donated on this day.

Will you join us?

In the coming days, I will post detailed information on how you can sign up to donate. If you don't feel internet savvy, you are welcome to email me at barbaranordlund@gmail.com or call me at 773.801.9544 and I would be happy to help you to sign up.

We hope that my dad will be able to attend this event but either way our family will be there to thank you in person for the tremendous amount of love and support you have shown us.

For a link to the Life Source website that provides a list of qualifications to be able to donate blood. Click here.

-Barbara

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to honor the gift of healing that has been given your Dad Dwight! We thank and praise God for that healing, and are asking for complete healing of his ulcer and a return to his full strength. Now we can add a prayer for all the strangers (to us, not to God) who will benefit from the blood donated. There is power and healing in the blood, as well as in the Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We won't be in Chicago on that date to donate, but Matt and I will certainly give blood near our home in Minnesota in honor of your Dad. Praise God for Dwight's awesome and amazing recovery!

    ReplyDelete