Monday, March 23, 2009

March 22nd AM

This blog is an outlet for the family to communicate with loved ones about Dwight. Please feel free to check here for any status updates and prayer requests.

Email from 3/22:

Yesterday morning started with a phone call from a frantic woman calling about my dad. He was at work and had passed out and started throwing up blood. He was rushed to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and quickly joined by my immediate family. At first it felt like they were going to give him more blood, run some tests and keep him overnight for monitoring but this quickly changed.

Some stats:
2/3rds of his stomach was filed with blood
his hemoglobin level which should be at a 15 was at 3
he received 20 liters of blood (5 times our body volume)

The doctors wanted to stop the bleeding but after two scopes they were unable to do so because they couldn't located it with all the blood continuing to fill. Doctors started to say "grave . . .critical . . brace for the worst" We were surrounded by family and friends . . .pastors and doctors and I have to be honest, I began to deal with the fact that I was losing my dad. The final decision was to do a last stitch effort to do a procedure with the intervention radiologist. It was incredibly risky and the doctors weren't sure if he would even survive the ride down to the OR. But time passed and with each moment we were met with hope for success.

Nathan and I ran downstairs to grab coffee and as we came out of the elevators to the radiology floor we heard clapping and cheering. A complete 180 . . . they were able to find the bleeding and STOP the bleeding. His blood pressure is up and his heart rate is lower.

God doesn't work in coincidence . . . for him to be at work yesterday, three blocks from Northwestern Memorial, the best radiology deparment, some say, in the world. We are not out of the woods. My dad continues to be in critical condition and is currently sedated and on a breathing tube. He has blood in his lungs and they are cautious for infection and lack of oxygen that was lost for a time during the day.

Each moment, yesterday, there were at least five doctors, working tirelessly to keep my dad alive and so, so many prayers.

Please be praying for my dad, for my mom, for our family and friends who are gathering together in the hospital and in prayer.

God has worked a miracle, my dad has fought so hard and we pray that this continues. Here are some numbers if you want to get ahold of us.

Please understand if we are not immediate in our follow through.

I will do my best to send updates. We are staying downtown for another night or two (thank you Sarah for the incredible gift of supplying us for hotel rooms!)

Love,Barbara

My mom's cell: 312/720/0296
My cell: 773/801/9544
Christine's cell: 847/738/3228
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Room 920 in ICU

2 comments:

  1. Judy and I are very sorry for what has happened to Dwight. Judy, me and our church are praying for Dwight, Sue and family.
    Keep on running, and God Bless
    Rick Hessel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All:
    Just a note to tell you that Bette & I are
    praying for all of you in this stressful time and especially for Dwight. Our God is sovereign and certainly knows what is best. It's hard to trust when you can't see the end of the road but God is in charge.
    Our prayers - Dave & Bette Obinger

    ReplyDelete