Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sam.

As many of you know, my dad worked at NBC for forty years as a camera man and news editor. My dad retired in the summer of 2007 and six months later was asked to come back as a daily hire. It is an understatement to say that my dad loves NBC.

His dedication and love for his job is such an example. Even last Saturday when my dad felt totally awful and weak, he went to work. And after he fainted and came to, after the ambulance was called, he told is co-worker that he was just going to finish his story.

My dad has met many amazing people and has always been generous by providing studio tours to friends and family and even getting us the occasional autograph.

The NBC family has shown our family so much love and care this past week through visits, prayers, groceries, and offers to stay at their homes. We are so grateful to them and also know that their love for my dad has much to do with my dad's love for them. It is definitely reciprocated. My dad went by "Sam" at work and may of his co-workers don't even know him by his first name. There were many times during my childhood when someone would call for Sam and it took me a few seconds to realize it wasn't the wrong number.

Below is a video of Saturday's morning newscast. This is right after the news spread that my dad woke up.

-Barbara

4 comments:

  1. That's really neat- thanks for posting it. So glad that your dad is doing so good. We will keep praying for his continued recovery and that he is soon off the vent and talking! Love, Laura, Mark & Vinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that your dad is recovering! My thoughts & prayers are with him & all of you. I was so happy to read the good news!

    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all of Dwights immediate family :

    Thanks so much for keeping all of your friends and family updated on the happenings of this past week. We rejoice with you on what is happening in regards to Dwight's health and recovery. Please know that we will continue to pray for Dwight, Sue, Christine, Barbara and your families as you try to juggle time with Dwight and getting back to some form of normalcy.

    Our love to all of you !!

    Jim and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara and Christine, thanks so much for calling us first thing on Saturday morning to give us the good news.

    I've known Dwight since 2000 when I started working at NBC and yes I was very intimidated by him at first because he was so blunt and constantly made fun of all of us. If you made a mistake on the air he would joke about it until there was no tomorrow and that's the last thing you want people to hear when your new. With time "I got" his humor and I actually enjoyed it when he plays jokes on everyone else. Working the morning shift is hard when you're fighting your sleep, but with Dwight around we always had good laughs and that helped. Can't wait for him to recover.

    My prayers are still with your family.

    ReplyDelete