Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Slumber

We are attempting to leave the hospital to get food and sleep. It is so, so hard to walk away from this waiting room even though it has become my least favorite place in the world. Some kind of purgatory.

We have spent the day at my dad's bedside . . . friends and family coming through this hospital to walk beside us.

We have had prayers, benedictions, songs, rubs, conversations, jokes, laughter, tears. And we wait . . . for God to show us His plan.

Nathan and I went out for a walk this afternoon and went to the Episcopal Church down the street. They were having a healing service. I have never before understood "give us this day our daily bread" as I did tonight.

When you are in crisis the simple things become everything to you. I would give ANYTHING to hear my dad's voice or see his eyes or watch him scratch his back against the wall like he so often does. Even to hear one of his corny jokes . . .
Something that has just been a part of my life for thirty years is now something that I so desperately want but can't have.

But God is giving us our daily bread . . . enough to sustain us right now. We are weak, tired, scared, filled with grief and devastation.

Tomorrow is a new day and we pray that God will provide us with good and miraculous news.

Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:21-23

-Barbara

12 comments:

  1. Please know that we are praying for Dwight fervently right now! We will keep checking for updates.

    Kjersten & Michael Jennings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    My eyes are filled with tears at the thought of what I would be thinking, doing, feeling in your shoes. May you rest tonight knowing that your dad is in the care of One who loves him more than you can ever imagine...as are you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara...you have been so very very helpful to your Dad's family and friends during these past few days. The words you have written have brought peace to us and have given us the strength to hope and ask for miracles. Tonight as we go to rest, your Dad is so present in our thoughts and prayers. Our prayer is for that miracle of life that you have so longed to see for so many days. God is our strength and may He give you comfort and peace tonight as you rest in His arms.
    We love your family so much and we send our love to all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am praying that as you rest and your dad rests, God is restoring you all, body mind and soul. candles are lit all over my apartment for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Try to rest when you are able knowing that so many are holding your Dad up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been and will continue to pray for your dad. We're at that time of life that time with our parents is very precious. Know that you and your family are in my prayers!

    Lauri (Cruz) Ficke

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family is praying!!! Jesus...please...heal Dwight!
    Melissa (Wagner) Sogavo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our hearts ache for all of you! We are praying fervently for a miracle! It is so hard to believe that this is really happening, having walked this path such a short time ago. Matt and Heather's twins are due any day and so we experience such joy and sorrow all at the same time. Our entire family, and many friends in Cambridge, are praying for healing for Dwight and an incredible sense of His peace and strength for all of you.

    We Love You, Sherri and Dale

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is bringing me back to my stedDad's surgery and events following this past fall. If I could express to you the deep, deep heartache to you I would - but there are simply just not the right words.
    All I can say is that I care for you and your family and have prayed so hard for you these last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dwight's family. I am one of Sam's (that's how we call him) former co-workers in EJ at NBC. I have known Sam for 15 years. I have been thinking about him and his family non-stop since this happened. WE all love Sam and his quirky jokes and pranks. And I know how much he loves his family from all of the pictures and videos he has shown us of you over the years. You are in my heart.....and I am praying very hard for you and our funny beloved Sam.

    Michelle De Long

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara & Nathan, my heart is heavy, and I am at a loss for words. Just know that our family continues to pray for your family and especially your Dad's recovery.

    Lorri, Eli, Kayla and Miriah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Susan, Barbara,Christine, Nathan and Mark,
    We are praying very hard for Dwight's recovery and for all of you to feel God beside you. We know there are a lot of people visiting, and it was suggested that we keep in touch at this point through blogging and of course, prayers. . Please know how much we deeply care.
    Susan, I will try to call you in the next few days. David and I are reading the blog at least several times a day.
    Our love and prayers to all of you,and God is with you.
    Maria and Dave

    ReplyDelete